- USB port has the rate of data transfer 12Mbps for disk drives and 1.5Mbps for the devices that needs less bandwidth.
- In many computers, an additional USB port is found on the front along with two standard USB ports at the back.
- USB port transmit data very fast. So, it is now commonly used by people.
- USB devices can be used across multiple platforms. It works on Windows, Mac and can be used with other operating systems too.
- There is no need to turn off the computer for installing the devices. You can simply plugin and do your work.
- USB ports are user-friendly. Now OTP is supporting Android with a USB pen drive.
- A serial port is capable of transmitting only 1 bit at a time with rate of data transfer of about 57kbps.
- A serial port is found at the back of the computer and it is a part of the motherboard.
- Serial port transmits data at a very slow rate. So, serial ports are now rarely used.
- Serial Ports are a part of the motherboards and its functionality depends on its OS drivers but it is not so easy to operate as USB Port.
- In the case of a Serial port, it causes problems in installing the devices if the computer is not turned off.
- Serial ports are not user-friendly as compare to USB Ports.
I hope you were able to understand the difference between a USB and a Serial Port.